Tartarus

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Tartarus

The Underworld Of Lightly (& Logically) Moderated Discussion & Debate

+3
Linno
Waireka
Psalter
7 posters

A hypothetical question about absolute power and self control.

Poll

Would you take the power under these conditions?

[ 1 ]
    A hypothetical question about absolute power and self control. Bar_left7%A hypothetical question about absolute power and self control. Bar_right [7%] 
    [ 1 ]
    A hypothetical question about absolute power and self control. Bar_left7%A hypothetical question about absolute power and self control. Bar_right [7%] 
    [ 2 ]
    A hypothetical question about absolute power and self control. Bar_left14%A hypothetical question about absolute power and self control. Bar_right [14%] 
    [ 7 ]
    A hypothetical question about absolute power and self control. Bar_left50%A hypothetical question about absolute power and self control. Bar_right [50%] 
    [ 3 ]
    A hypothetical question about absolute power and self control. Bar_left21%A hypothetical question about absolute power and self control. Bar_right [21%] 

Total Votes: 14
    Psalter
    Psalter
    Nymph
    Nymph

A hypothetical question about absolute power and self control. Empty A hypothetical question about absolute power and self control.

Post  Psalter Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:37 pm

Lets say that you were offered a power where you could make a person die just by thinking it. Would you take it? Consider the following catches before deciding.

- Anyone that you even half wished dead would die.
    - If you told anyone, everyone you loved would die.
    - This power is permanent.

There is alot of good that could be done with this power. The dictators of this world, the serial rapists, murderers, kiddy fiddlers etc. they would all be fodder. Could you handle having absolute power?

Power corrupts, abslute power corrupts absolutely.
    Waireka
    Waireka
    Nymph
    Nymph

A hypothetical question about absolute power and self control. Empty Re: A hypothetical question about absolute power and self control.

Post  Waireka Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:42 pm

Watched Death Note?
    Psalter
    Psalter
    Nymph
    Nymph

A hypothetical question about absolute power and self control. Empty Re: A hypothetical question about absolute power and self control.

Post  Psalter Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:44 pm

Waireka wrote:Watched Death Note?

No.
    Waireka
    Waireka
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Waireka Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:48 pm

Psalter wrote:

No.

Death Note (デスノート ,Desu Nōto?) is a Japanese manga series created by writer Tsugumi Ohba and illustrator Takeshi Obata. The series centers on Light Yagami, a high school student who discovers a supernatural notebook, the titular "Death Note", dropped on Earth by a shinigami (death god) named Ryuk. The Death Note grants its user the ability to kill anyone whose face they have seen, by writing the victim's name in the notebook with a picture of the victim in his mind, since there is the possibility of several people having the same name. The story follows Light's attempt to create and rule a world cleansed of evil using the notebook, and the complex conflict between him and his opponents.
    Psalter
    Psalter
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Psalter Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:53 pm

Waireka wrote:
    Psalter wrote:

No.

Death Note (デスノート ,Desu Nōto?) is a Japanese manga series created by writer Tsugumi Ohba and illustrator Takeshi Obata. The series centers on Light Yagami, a high school student who discovers a supernatural notebook, the titular "Death Note", dropped on Earth by a shinigami (death god) named Ryuk. The Death Note grants its user the ability to kill anyone whose face they have seen, by writing the victim's name in the notebook with a picture of the victim in his mind, since there is the possibility of several people having the same name. The story follows Light's attempt to create and rule a world cleansed of evil using the notebook, and the complex conflict between him and his opponents.

Sounds fucking sweet.

The almighty says, stop changing the subject and answer the fucking question. (Braveheart)
    Linno
    Linno
    Mortal
    Mortal

Post  Linno Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:30 am

Quick answer: no. One main reason being I couldn't tell anyone about it. I'd find that too hard to do, and wouldn't want to carry the 'burden' of it alone, it would fuck with my head too much and I'm neurotic enough as it is. So yeah carrying that secret would be too much for me to handle. Though I've never wished death upon anyone, not even in a half-serious way. But if someone fucked with family or a close friend then I might reconsider and want to take up the offer of absolute power. But at the moment it's a no.
    superarmy
    superarmy
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  superarmy Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:52 am

I would be to worried about L catching me jk/

I think I could control myself, then again, having such an awesome power is rather hard to fathom as I am now.
    master5o1
    master5o1
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  master5o1 Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:31 am

A hypothetical question about absolute power and self control. Hypotheticals

What if someone broke out of a hypothetical situation in your room right now?
    relict
    relict
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  relict Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:06 pm

master5o1 wrote:What if someone broke out of a hypothetical situation in your room right now?

Read Jasper Fforde’s 's novels, and you'll hear about just that!
    Diaz
    Diaz
    Mortal
    Mortal

Post  Diaz Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:32 am

No, but not mainly because of power issues - but just because death happens to all anyway.

I don't think it would actually serve much to have that power but in the case you did have I think it would be irresistible for a person to try it out whatever the limitations were so it would get used for better or worse. I'm doubtful any such power could be used in any sort of 'better' way though, lots of possibilities for regrets there too as being human what we might think is the right course of action might not be the best thing particularly if you are acting through anger - people are very subjective in how they assess things. Also the risk of it being harnessed for ideological reasons which have nothing much to do with the merits or otherwise of the actual person that is the target is huge.
    relict
    relict
    Nymph
    Nymph

A hypothetical question about absolute power and self control. Empty Diaz

Post  relict Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:43 am

A good post Diaz, and I agree.

I like to think, but such power would make me scared to think. Even knowing the long-term consequences of every action (quite a big ask) would be insufficient to make this power a good thing, in my opinion.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:20 am