Tartarus

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Tartarus

The Underworld Of Lightly (& Logically) Moderated Discussion & Debate

5 posters

Getting the baddies

relict
    relict
    Nymph
    Nymph

Getting the baddies Empty Getting the baddies

Post  relict Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:10 am

At SC marieflying has a topic called the most popular screen saver where a character with the head of George Bush falls down the screen, bouncing off, and getting trapped within, a sequence of variously sized spheres.

I first saw it ages back, and both then and now I admit I enjoyed throwing and dragging George about the screen in a manner that would be considered torture if the character were real. He has never been my favourite person. But what does this say about me?

Now I've always considered myself to be someone absolutely repelled by the of torture others (human or animal) in real life. The logic that the torture of one person can potentially save the lives of many is a dilemma that I find disconcerting, but at a fundamental level, something I could never condone.

Now the self-named anti-PC brigade may likely laugh at this question, but what is the connection between my enjoyment of throwing and dragging George, and the potential lessening of my dislike of torture? Is this a similar comparison to connecting the playing of violent video games with the lessening of distaste for violence in real life?
    master5o1
    master5o1
    Nymph
    Nymph

Getting the baddies Empty Re: Getting the baddies

Post  master5o1 Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:24 am

Correlation does not imply causation.

I.e:

A 22 year old man goes to the shopping mall with a loaded rifle, handgun and/or knife. He kills everyone he sees, including himself. Later on it is discovered that he was a very well known gamer for various first person shooter games such as Counter Strike, Call of Duty, etc.

Some might read that the reason why he went and killed was because of the gaming, however that is false as it is a correlation and not a causation.

Same can be said about Pirates and global temperature
    relict
    relict
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  relict Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:29 am

master5o1 wrote:Correlation does not imply causation.

That is a given.

The reasons (causes?) for such activity are probably mostly complex, but are you denying that repeated exposure may have a gradual 'taming' effect (for want of a better expression)?
    master5o1
    master5o1
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  master5o1 Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:13 am

relict wrote:

That is a given.

The reasons (causes?) for such activity are probably mostly complex, but are you denying that repeated exposure may have a gradual 'taming' effect (for want of a better expression)?

I suppose it could. Like shock sites and various `disgusting` things found on the Internet, I have become immune to all things since browsing 4chan.

...and obviously 4chan was responsible since none of the other websites would have given me this immunity...and I suppose it could be an immunity...like viruses/bactaria: you gain exposure to these and then you build up an immunity....
    relict
    relict
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  relict Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:28 am

master5o1 wrote:I suppose it could. Like shock sites and various `disgusting` things found on the Internet, I have become immune to all things since browsing 4chan.

...and obviously 4chan was responsible since none of the other websites would have given me this immunity...and I suppose it could be an immunity...like viruses/bactaria: you gain exposure to these and then you build up an immunity....

Oh, the first edited post I have noticed. Doesn't appear to show as that though. All good.

'Immunity' is probably a good analogy. But a difference would be that immunity to disease can be built from one or few exposures, whereas immunity to finding things distasteful can be built from a huge number of exposures from myriad sources (if you are serious, you might not be justified in giving one website so much credit! Laughing ).
    master5o1
    master5o1
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  master5o1 Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:39 am

relict wrote:
    master5o1 wrote:I suppose it could. Like shock sites and various `disgusting` things found on the Internet, I have become immune to all things since browsing 4chan.

Oh, the first edited post I have noticed. Doesn't appear to show as that though. All good.

'Immunity' is probably a good analogy. But a difference would be that immunity to disease can be built from one or few exposures, whereas immunity to finding things distasteful can be built from a huge number of exposures from myriad sources (if you are serious, you might not be justified in giving one website so much credit! Laughing ).

It is mostly 4chan...the other usual sites are Slashdot, SmileCity, Gmail, Wikiplodicus, and possibly Ubuntu Forums. -- all sedate compared to 4chan.
    Waireka
    Waireka
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Waireka Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:15 am

master5o1 wrote:
    relict wrote:

That is a given.

I suppose it could. Like shock sites and various `disgusting` things found on the Internet, I have become immune to all things since browsing 4chan.

I agree there.

It 'normalizes' the presence of certain things, suddenly a man being beheaded is no longer something you can't watch, instead you sit there and watch it impassively, then shrug.

Naturalizing things can be necessary. Dead bodies and morticians. Soldiers and killing. Surgeons/Doctors and innards.

Naturalizing things can also be environmental. Domestic violence backgrounds. Child sexual abuse.

Interesting topic.
    superarmy
    superarmy
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  superarmy Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:24 am

<i>-- all sedate compared to 4chan.</i>

This, 4chan is as much mental conditioning as anything.

Despite what I have seen, infact maybe because of what I've seen, I've tried to reconnect with my emotions. To try and "feel" normal again, I search for vast ranges of pictures and music, art and movies things that can make me feel emotion, feel human. As I walk down the street, I try desperately hard to understand what other people think, how they can seemingly blissfully get on with there lives despite the stuff that I have seen, and that they know it exists. If anything, society is what is becoming less sensitive.
    Psalter
    Psalter
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Psalter Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:17 am

superarmy wrote:<i>-- all sedate compared to 4chan.</i>

This, 4chan is as much mental conditioning as anything.

Despite what I have seen, infact maybe because of what I've seen, I've tried to reconnect with my emotions. To try and "feel" normal again, I search for vast ranges of pictures and music, art and movies things that can make me feel emotion, feel human. As I walk down the street, I try desperately hard to understand what other people think, how they can seemingly blissfully get on with there lives despite the stuff that I have seen, and that they know it exists. If anything, society is what is becoming less sensitive.

Cool story bro.
    master5o1
    master5o1
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  master5o1 Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:16 am

I do think it is a terrible flash game.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:59 pm