Tartarus

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Tartarus

The Underworld Of Lightly (& Logically) Moderated Discussion & Debate

+5
Don Speekingleesh
superarmy
Anjewel
Psalter
Waireka
9 posters

Eskimo Lollies Are Insulting?

Waireka
    Waireka
    Nymph
    Nymph

Eskimo Lollies Are Insulting? Empty Eskimo Lollies Are Insulting?

Post  Waireka Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:39 pm

A staple lolly of the New Zealand 50-cent mixture has angered a Canadian tourist for its offensive name and shape.

Seeka Lee Veevee Parsons, 21, an Inuit of the Nunavut Territory in Canada, says the Eskimo lolly, manufactured by Cadbury/Pascall, is an insult to her people.

The word Eskimo is unacceptable in her country and carries with it negative racial connotations, she said.

She intends sending packets of the iconic confectionary to the Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper and her grandfather, a Inuit tribal elder in the Nunavut Territory.

When she found the lollies for sale in Timaru three weeks ago she was surprised a company would be able to use the word for a product.

"I was taken aback. When I was a little girl white kids in the community used to tease me about it in a bad way. It's just not the correct term."

Eskimo was long used to describe the native people of the northern territories of Canada and means "eater of raw meat", said Ms Parsons.

But it has not been acceptable for as long as she can remember. The correct term is Inuit, she says.

Not only has the name of the lolly aroused painful memories, she believes the shape is an unfair stereotype of her people.

"We are much more of a people than that image. We have deep ties to the land and an ancient culture and I think we should be recognised as that and not just a marshmallow figure."

The young woman wondered how New Zealanders visiting Canada would appreciate finding confectionary shaped like Maori warriors and hoped the manufacturers would consider changing the name and shape of the lolly. If anything, she said, it should be shaped like a seal, the Inuits' main source of food.

A spokesman for Cadbury/Pascall said the product had been in the market and enjoyed by consumers for many years and it was never their intention to offend any member of the public.

He was unable to say whether the lolly shape and name would be changed now they had been made aware it had caused offence.

The Encyclopedia Britannica says the name Eskimo has been applied to Arctic peoples by Europeans and others since the 16th century and was once thought to mean eaters of raw flesh, but is now believed to make reference to snowshoes.

It says the self-designations of Eskimo peoples vary with their languages and dialects and include such names as Inuit, Inupiat, Yupik, and Alutiit, each of which is a regional variant meaning the people or the real people.
    Psalter
    Psalter
    Nymph
    Nymph

Eskimo Lollies Are Insulting? Empty Re: Eskimo Lollies Are Insulting?

Post  Psalter Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:27 am

Pah, this kind of faggotry needs to cease forthwith.
    Anjewel
    Anjewel
    Giant
    Giant

Post  Anjewel Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:21 am

Psalter wrote:Pah, this kind of faggotry needs to cease forthwith.

For sure...
    superarmy
    superarmy
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  superarmy Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:27 am

All in favour of declaring war on Canada to preserve our right to eat eskimo lollies say "I"
    Waireka
    Waireka
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Waireka Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:49 am

superarmy wrote:All in favour of declaring war on Canada to preserve our right to eat eskimo lollies say "I"

Eskimo Lollies Are Insulting? Eye34
    Don Speekingleesh
    Mortal
    Mortal

Post  Don Speekingleesh Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:08 am

I suppose I had better hide the Eskimo Pies, then. Twisted Evil
    the distant one
    Mortal
    Mortal

Post  the distant one Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:12 am

but maori cigarettes are offensive?
    Summoner
    Summoner
    Mortal
    Mortal

Post  Summoner Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:00 am

What are Maori cigarettes?

I think the eskimo lollies are yuck anyway so let them have cake. If she finds it a racial insult that's her right... it's obviously not going to go anywhere unless the Canadians are going to cut of their exports to our country... Oh no! No more maple syrup, how sad.
    the distant one
    Mortal
    Mortal

Post  the distant one Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:19 am

http://tvnz.co.nz/content/638858/video?vid=638890

maori cigarettes.... interesting to watch really... I can see some great similarities
    MereMortalBeing
    MereMortalBeing
    Mortal
    Mortal

Post  MereMortalBeing Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:31 am

I say NO...I love maple syrup Razz
    Summoner
    Summoner
    Mortal
    Mortal

Post  Summoner Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:33 am

Ok, that was funny... Maybe there should be a claim on that. Seeing as, according to some, Maori people lay claim to everything else.
    Summoner
    Summoner
    Mortal
    Mortal

Post  Summoner Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:36 am

MereMortalBeing wrote:I say NO...I love maple syrup Razz

I too love Maple syrup... with pancakes and whipped cream. I would choose the maple syrup over a really foul textured lollie, therefore I stand with the inuit/Eskimo/Casnadian Indian.

Down with the lollie!!
    Lynz
    Mortal
    Mortal

Post  Lynz Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:35 pm

Psalter wrote:Pah, this kind of faggotry needs to cease forthwith.

Eggzacerly. Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:45 pm