Tartarus

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Tartarus

The Underworld Of Lightly (& Logically) Moderated Discussion & Debate

+5
Tikva
Linno
Waireka
Psalter
relict
9 posters

Identities

relict
    relict
    Nymph
    Nymph

Identities Empty Identities

Post  relict Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:54 am

I personally don't get why some find it so important to know or guess who people are (or at least match them up with other aliases).

If people deliberately try to have multies that behave differently from each other, well, good luck to them - I couldn't be bothered with the effort.

If people want a new start in a new place, well, fair enough, I no problem with that, and can respect that desire. Who does it hurt? If they are 'evil', their true colours will show up eventually.

All I really care about is whether a post is interesting or constructive or informative or funny or a combination of those things or not. Sometimes, patterns emerge and I can make predictions about how interesting/constructive/informative/funny a post might be given the username, but even then, people can make posts outside of that general pattern.

Sometimes I almost feel like writing someone off because their posts are particularly dumb, and then in another topic, they shine!

c'est la vie
    Psalter
    Psalter
    Nymph
    Nymph

Identities Empty Re: Identities

Post  Psalter Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:58 am

relict wrote:I personally don't get why some find it so important to know or guess who people are (or at least match them up with other aliases).

If people deliberately try to have multies that behave differently from each other, well, good luck to them - I couldn't be bothered with the effort.

If people want a new start in a new place, well, fair enough, I no problem with that, and can respect that desire. Who does it hurt? If they are 'evil', their true colours will show up eventually.

All I really care about is whether a post is interesting or constructive or informative or funny or a combination of those things or not. Sometimes, patterns emerge and I can make predictions about how interesting/constructive/informative/funny a post might be given the username, but even then, people can make posts outside of that general pattern.

Sometimes I almost feel like writing someone off because their posts are particularly dumb, and then in another topic, they shine!

c'est la vie

Cool story bro. Very Happy

But seriously, a little yes, a little no. I would like to know who is who around these parts... it's not thatimportant though.

The reason? I have a pretty damn good memory, it helps to have a history of people's claims so that I might contradict the person with their own words at a later date.
    relict
    relict
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  relict Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:07 pm

Psalter wrote:I would like to know who is who around these parts... it's not that important though.

The reason? I have a pretty damn good memory, it helps to have a history of people's claims so that I might contradict the person with their own words at a later date.

See, there's a difference between you and me. Your memory is probably better (or more practiced, or you are using more effort to remember). So I don't even try to remember, and then it is only the consistent patterns that jump out at me. I'm slow to develop opinions about people, but possibly slow to change them too. I don't get a buzz out of proving someone wrong, or using their own words to contradict them, but I can still be amused watching others do it. So thank you for doing all the work! Laughing
    Psalter
    Psalter
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Psalter Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:13 pm

No problem... it's no effort for me.

My memory pisses people off and I sometimes feel guilty for having it... kind of how you feel guilty eating an icecream when a world vision ad comes on... well that's what I imagine people feel... I am amused.
    relict
    relict
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  relict Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:18 pm

Psalter wrote:My memory pisses people off

Surely only if they don't have personal coherence, integrity, and intelligence, or are not willing to own their faults, or take responsibility for their errors.

Psalter wrote:My memory ... I sometimes feel guilty for having it

Don't.
    Psalter
    Psalter
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Psalter Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:22 pm

relict wrote:
    Psalter wrote:My memory pisses people off

Surely only if they don't have personal coherence, integrity, and intelligence, or are not willing to own their faults, or take responsibility for their errors.

Psalter wrote:My memory ... I sometimes feel guilty for having it

Don't.

No, just because it means things come easy to me... I don't study, I don't highlight, I don't buy textbooks... I just read, listen, and remember. They have to work hard for what comes to me naturally... it only pisses them off when they see me getting A's and the extent of my study is clocking my latest PSP game in the Cafe while they study. That's also why I fel guilty, Kiwi tall poppy syndrome.
    relict
    relict
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  relict Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:26 pm

Psalter wrote:No, just because it means things come easy to me... I don't study, I don't highlight, I don't buy textbooks... I just read, listen, and remember. They have to work hard for what comes to me naturally... it only pisses them off when they see me getting A's and the extent of my study is clocking my latest PSP game in the Cafe while they study. That's also why I fel guilty, Kiwi tall poppy syndrome.

Oh sorry, my bad. I assumed you were referring to the forum context, rather than the academic one.

Still don't feel guilty. You didn't buy your memory. You didn't even chose it.

For those that have to work harder to get the same grades, is it really such a big sacrifice in life to play a little less PSP?
    Psalter
    Psalter
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Psalter Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:30 pm

For those that have to work harder to get the same grades, is it really such a big sacrifice in life to play a little less PSP?

A thousand times; YES!
    relict
    relict
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  relict Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:36 pm

Psalter wrote:

A thousand times; YES!

Subjective!

You wouldn't know! Razz It's the others who play less than you. Personally, I've never regretted having to work hard for my A's. It hasn't done me any harm. And sometimes the extra work I do pays off. For example, physics: I was crap at it, because I couldn't remember all the formulae and how and when to use them, so I read 'Conceptual Physics' (the book about physics, for dummies) and fell in love with the subject. There were conceptual questions in the exam, and I did better at them than the others who had better memories.
    Psalter
    Psalter
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Psalter Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:42 pm

relict wrote:
    Psalter wrote:

A thousand times; YES!

Subjective!

You wouldn't know! Razz It's the others who play less than you. Personally, I've never regretted having to work hard for my A's. It hasn't done me any harm. And sometimes the extra work I do pays off. For example, physics: I was crap at it, because I couldn't remember all the formulae and how and when to use them, so I read 'Conceptual Physics' (the book about physics, for dummies) and fell in love with the subject. There were conceptual questions in the exam, and I did better at them than the others who had better memories.

Ah, the old catch 22... yes, those things that I can't read, or are too hard to start with (chemical equations and the like... applied science) I just ignore.... I am very prone to giving up because I am used to things being easy.
    relict
    relict
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  relict Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:50 pm

Psalter wrote:I am used to things being easy.

Awareness is the first step to victory! Razz
    Psalter
    Psalter
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Psalter Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:51 pm

relict wrote:
    Psalter wrote:I am used to things being easy.

Awareness is the first step to victory! Razz

Or acceptance.
    Waireka
    Waireka
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Waireka Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:51 pm

Back to identities... I'd like to not care about who is who here, but then I agree with Psalter too.
    relict
    relict
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  relict Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:03 pm

Psalter wrote:
    relict wrote:Awareness is the first step to victory! Razz

Or acceptance.

True.

Waireka wrote:I'd like to not care about who is who here, but then I agree with Psalter too.

relict wrote:All I really care about is whether a post is interesting or constructive or informative or funny or a combination of those things or not.

Okay ... that doesn't mean I won't be reading about the identity dramas. I don't feel the need to know, and believe it will all come out in the wash, but if you are going to spell it out, I'll listen. Hehe. Does that make me a hypocrite?
    Linno
    Linno
    Mortal
    Mortal

Post  Linno Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:35 pm

relict wrote:

All I really care about is whether a post is interesting or constructive or informative or funny or a combination of those things or not.

Ditto.
    I could care less about who people are. I've seen so many random usernames here, and a few I recognise, and I don't give a shit who is behind all of them.
    If someone posts something cool or insightful, then great...a good debate. And if they post rubbish, then great...a good slaying. End of story. All the stupid drama about who people are and what their agenda is, is so tedious.
    Tikva
    Tikva
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Tikva Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:13 pm

That's the ridiculous part I don't get ~ they're Forums! Why have any kind of 'agenda'?????
    canterella
    canterella
    Giant
    Giant

Post  canterella Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:10 am

Tikva wrote:That's the ridiculous part I don't get ~ they're Forums! Why have any kind of 'agenda'?????

well said!
    Psalter
    Psalter
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Psalter Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:13 am

Goddammit, everyone stop being so agreeable!
    canterella
    canterella
    Giant
    Giant

Post  canterella Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:16 am

oh fuck off Psalter you monobrowed person!
    Psalter
    Psalter
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Psalter Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:19 am

Good try, but it was lacking heart... and I have recently shaved my monobrow you fucking tart!
    canterella
    canterella
    Giant
    Giant

Post  canterella Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:24 am

OK I've ran out of insults already - you win Twisted Evil

Last edited by canterella on Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:25 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fucken grammar)
    Donkeycheese
    Donkeycheese
    Mortal
    Mortal

Post  Donkeycheese Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:45 am

Tikva wrote:That's the ridiculous part I don't get ~ they're Forums! Why have any kind of 'agenda'?????

just because it is a forum, doesn't change the fact that when people read "donkeycheese", they feel "donkey love"
    Anjewel
    Anjewel
    Giant
    Giant

Post  Anjewel Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:22 am

Donkeycheese wrote:

just because it is a forum, doesn't change the fact that when people read "donkeycheese", they feel "donkey love"

More like feel "out of it"... afro
    Donkeycheese
    Donkeycheese
    Mortal
    Mortal

Post  Donkeycheese Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:34 am

Anjewel wrote:
    Donkeycheese wrote:

More like feel "out of it"... afro

ha ha

not wrong either

man, I got some nice shit at the moment.....
    master5o1
    master5o1
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  master5o1 Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:38 am

I would do anything for love
    Anything you've been dreaming of
    But I just won't do that

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content