Tartarus

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Tartarus

The Underworld Of Lightly (& Logically) Moderated Discussion & Debate

+4
relict
master5o1
Psalter
superarmy
8 posters

Best ways of overcoming the economic recession?

superarmy
    superarmy
    Nymph
    Nymph

Best ways of overcoming the economic recession? Empty Best ways of overcoming the economic recession?

Post  superarmy Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:31 am

I'm not talking about, what we can do, but what our government can do. I am no economist yet, it seems like everyone seems to think they are now. People have these grand idea of how to turn this around, then I ask them "Oh never realized you knew so much about it", general reply "Oh yeah, well I do..."

So since everyone is an economist now, what do you think is the best way of stimulating the economy? My favourite ideas are
    1. Zero taxes on all small businesses for the next 6 months
    2. (Normal american one) Give everyone $1000 dollars for them to spend to give a stimulus.
    3. Lower taxes.

And I don't like this idea of buyouts, so anyone can correct me, or perhaps suggest better ideas, go ahead.
    Psalter
    Psalter
    Nymph
    Nymph

Best ways of overcoming the economic recession? Empty Re: Best ways of overcoming the economic recession?

Post  Psalter Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:00 am

It's elementary my dear watson.

We first take in a lot of our money and destroy it. We then change current laws concerning the import of vehicles to make it economically retarded to import vehicles. We then set up government sponsored factories that produce environmentally awesome cars, and we hire road workers that axtually work to improve our roading. Every person gets paid relatively equal amounts (though not particularly high), with a certain number of credits going towards one of these cars (I would cal the car the "peoples cart" or some such). Then, once more than half the people have cars, we convert the factories to war factories, annex Australia and exterminate all Juice.

Simple.
    Psalter
    Psalter
    Nymph
    Nymph

Best ways of overcoming the economic recession? Empty Re: Best ways of overcoming the economic recession?

Post  Psalter Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:01 am

Also, I am winning the PSN war.
    master5o1
    master5o1
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  master5o1 Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:06 am

Psalter wrote:It's elementary my dear watson.

We first take in a lot of our money and destroy it. We then change current laws concerning the import of vehicles to make it economically retarded to import vehicles. We then set up government sponsored factories that produce environmentally awesome cars, and we hire road workers that axtually work to improve our roading. Every person gets paid relatively equal amounts (though not particularly high), with a certain number of credits going towards one of these cars (I would cal the car the "peoples cart" or some such). Then, once more than half the people have cars, we convert the factories to war factories, annex Australia and exterminate all Juice.

Simple.

While we're at it, we build superior motorways that can have a theoretical unlimited speed limit (actual limit set to 180km/h)
    Psalter
    Psalter
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Psalter Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:09 am

master5o1 wrote:
    Psalter wrote:It's elementary my dear watson.

Simple.

While we're at it, we build superior motorways that can have a theoretical unlimited speed limit (actual limit set to 180km/h)

Excellent.

We should have some kind of figurehead for this movement, also a catchy name and symbol.

Any ideas?
    relict
    relict
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  relict Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:13 am

Psalter wrote:Excellent.

We should have some kind of figurehead for this movement, also a catchy name and symbol.

Any ideas?

The Psatzi Party?
    master5o1
    master5o1
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  master5o1 Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:26 am

relict wrote:
    Psalter wrote:Excellent.

Any ideas?

The Psatzi Party?

Best ways of overcoming the economic recession? Tiptop10

Yeah, I was thinking something like this.
    relict
    relict
    Nymph
    Nymph

Best ways of overcoming the economic recession? Empty Would there be ...

Post  relict Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:32 am

a psecret pservice?
    master5o1
    master5o1
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  master5o1 Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:33 am

AnonymouSS
    master5o1
    master5o1
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  master5o1 Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:36 am

Psalter wrote:
    Excellent.

Also, this guy, he should have been in prison for a few months, written a book...to which, we should burn all other books.

Any ideas?

This guy should have been in prison for a few months, written a book...and we should burn all other books to get people reading this one book..
    KeriAnne
    KeriAnne
    Mortal
    Mortal

Post  KeriAnne Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:41 am

Wipe all student loans under $10,000 that are over 7 years old for people currently living and working in New Zealand.

This will cover a range of people in a range of social environments, all of whom are contributing and being highly taxed. Some of them will be parents with families who have been paying their loans off for so long they can’t remember how it ever felt to not be so highly taxed.

Some will be relatively young, some will be quite old. Many will respond by spending but as they will all be such different people, from different social-economic areas, the spending will be well distributed and result in wider growth.

(Did I mention that I fit into this category??) Twisted Evil
    relict
    relict
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  relict Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:58 am

KeriAnne wrote:Wipe all student loans under $10,000 that are over 7 years old for people currently living and working in New Zealand.

And people with over $10,000 get nothing? That hardly sounds fair. I realise that eventually these people would get down to $10,000, but for people who have done longer courses, this might take a very long time, and with a change of government in between, they may never get the break.
    KeriAnne
    KeriAnne
    Mortal
    Mortal

Post  KeriAnne Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:17 am

Never said it was a total solution.
    KeriAnne
    KeriAnne
    Mortal
    Mortal

Post  KeriAnne Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:24 am

relict wrote:
    KeriAnne wrote:Wipe all student loans under $10,000 that are over 7 years old for people currently living and working in New Zealand.

And people with over $10,000 get nothing? That hardly sounds fair. I realise that eventually these people would get down to $10,000, but for people who have done longer courses, this might take a very long time, and with a change of government in between, they may never get the break.

Okay, how about wipe all student loans that are under $10,000 & over 7 years old for people currently living and working in New Zealand. And wipe up to $10,000 off of all student loans over over 7 years old for people currently living and working in New Zealand who have been cosistantly living and working in New Zealand for the last 6mths?
    relict
    relict
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  relict Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:43 am

KeriAnne wrote:Okay, how about wipe all student loans that are under $10,000 & over 7 years old for people currently living and working in New Zealand. And wipe up to $10,000 off of all student loans over over 7 years old for people currently living and working in New Zealand who have been cosistantly living and working in New Zealand for the last 6mths?

Somewhat better.

I'd rather just wipe $1000 per year for any New Zealand citizen who has worked full time (paid or voluntary) in NZ for the previous twelve months. That is, if you work here for five years, full time, you can have $5000 wiped. Those in paid work will also be making payments themselves as usual. Those working part time will have a proportionate amount of $1000 wiped.

Actually I just had another idea. Start at $500 for the first year working in NZ, and increase it by $100 every year (up to a maximum of $1000 per year), so if you work in NZ for seven years straight, over that time you will get $500 + $600 + $700 + $800 + $900 + $1000 + $1000 wiped.

If you go overseas (which I wouldn't want to punish too harshly, because the experience is valuable to NZ) for a year after the second year of work, and work another two years after getting back, you'd get $500 + $600 + $0 + $500 + $600 wiped (ie, you start from $500 again every time you leave).

What do you think of that? And sorry for the thread jack.
    KeriAnne
    KeriAnne
    Mortal
    Mortal

Post  KeriAnne Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:47 am

Interesting as long term option, I was looking at a one time bump.
    relict
    relict
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  relict Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:01 am

KeriAnne wrote:Interesting as long term option, I was looking at a one time bump.

Yeah. That's why I called it a threadjack rather than an answer to the question. Sad

I'm not sure of the answer to the real question of what the government should do. I'll readily admit I am not qualified to answer that at all.

I find it an interesting question, because although governments may help ease the economic situation, it is only at the level of individuals that it can be solved in the long term, since it is caused by the collective action of individuals in the first place. Just like most of the world's problems are related to people not taking up their personal responsibility (expecting others, or central government to solve the problem, rather than changing their own behaviour), and not being greedy (for example, not being happy with making a small profit; comparing one's salary to others in similar positions, rather than to what one needs to be comfortable - which is understandable of course, but causes an endless cycle of discontent).
    master5o1
    master5o1
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  master5o1 Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:18 am

Break it down to passed coursed.

If 'steve' passes courses A but not B then he gets half of $A paid off, and 0 of B paid off by the government/etc
    Psalter
    Psalter
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Psalter Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:52 am

KeriAnne wrote:Never said it was a total solution.

That's what I will call my programme, "the total solution".
    relict
    relict
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  relict Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:57 am

Psalter wrote:That's what I will call my programme, "the total solution".

You're taking on master5o1's logo then?

Real lice creamier.
    superarmy
    superarmy
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  superarmy Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:59 am

Why can't we just write of all student loans which are only education based costs. If someone need living expenses they can pay them back.
    relict
    relict
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  relict Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:03 am

superarmy wrote:Why can't we just write of all student loans which are only education based costs. If someone need living expenses they can pay them back.

Because education is both a public and private good, so people should bear some of the responsibility of paying for it, especially as some courses don't lead to a job, but to never-ending education, for some people.
    Psalter
    Psalter
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Psalter Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:04 am

superarmy wrote:Why can't we just write of all student loans which are only education based costs. If someone need living expenses they can pay them back.

No, that sounds far too logical!

Hell, if these people want to improve their lot in life, and improve the prosperity of their country, by Zeus they should pay!

But seriously, if you do a bachelor of the arts in the art of bongo drum, fuck off... pay for your three years of drinking and smoking pot.
    Psalter
    Psalter
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Psalter Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:05 am

My point being that a person should have to argue before a panel (perhaps in writing) how their degree or diploma is beneficial to anyone but them... there are too many people doing easy degrees so that they can be students and have a few letters after their names.
    superarmy
    superarmy
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  superarmy Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:07 am

No, that sounds far too logical!

Hell, if these people want to improve their lot in life, and improve the prosperity of their country, by Zeus they should pay!

But seriously, if you do a bachelor of the arts in the art of bongo drum, fuck off... pay for your three years of drinking and smoking pot.

Eh I guess, how about people who do degrees in areas which have job shortages get them payed off?

Eh I'm to tired to think.... And drunk....

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 15, 2024 2:58 pm