Tartarus

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Tartarus

The Underworld Of Lightly (& Logically) Moderated Discussion & Debate

3 posters

Auckland: one city, one mayor

Athena
    Athena
    Admin
    Admin

Auckland: one city, one mayor Empty Auckland: one city, one mayor

Post  Athena Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:05 am

An Auckland "super city" is being proposed by a Royal Commission to fix the region's woes.

In its long-awaited report, released today, the Royal Commission on Auckland governance proposed scrapping the Auckland Regional council and seven territorial authorities serving Auckland and called for the establishment of a single unitary authority called the Auckland Council.

For the first time, a single mayor will preside over the entire city - and they will have powers greater than those currently allowed.

The Royal Commission is pegging its hopes on an "inspirational leader, inclusive in approach and decisive in action" filling the Lord Mayor type role - and says their new powers will include the ability to appoint their deputy and committee chairpersons, propose budgets and initiate policy and establish and maintain an appropriately staffed mayoral office.

The new Council would have all the powers and responsibilities of a regional council and territorial authority across the region, including the sole ability to set rates, their report says.

"There will be one-long term council community plan, one spatial plan, one district plan, one rating system, one rates bill, oine voice for Auckland," the report says.

Six elected local councils would operate underneath the new super city umbrella, but would operate in a way not seen before - providing services and acting as an advocate for residents, ratepayers and their communities while lacking the general powers held by local authorities elsewhere.

A shake-up of Auckland boundaries is also proposed; while those in the north and Hauraki gulf will stay the same, Franklin will be shifted into Waikato, while Tuakau, Pokeno and Mercer will be shifted out of Waikato and brought under the Auckland super city umbrella.

In its report, the Royal Commission says Auckland needs a single, region-wide unitary authority for strong and effective Auckland governance and to overcome fragmentation and coordination problems.
    master5o1
    master5o1
    Nymph
    Nymph

Auckland: one city, one mayor Empty Re: Auckland: one city, one mayor

Post  master5o1 Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:45 am

replace i with j and you have seven percent of the population confused
    canterella
    canterella
    Giant
    Giant

Post  canterella Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:35 pm

we will be fucked any way and end up paying more for everything.
    If Paul Holmes become a mayor, I'm going to move to the wop wops. Evil or Very Mad
    master5o1
    master5o1
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  master5o1 Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:41 am

canterella wrote:we will be fucked any way and end up paying more for everything.
    If Paul Holmes become a mayor, I'm going to move to the wop wops. Evil or Very Mad

Good! I'm going to get some guy called Paul Holmes to run for Lord Mayor when this change happens.

(Although, I doubt I can get the former TV One host).

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 4:44 pm