Tartarus

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Tartarus

The Underworld Of Lightly (& Logically) Moderated Discussion & Debate

+12
lois lane
dabiarch
Kosmick
Anjewel
canterella
woody67
metcalfj
Linno
Psalter
debs
Tikva
Waireka
16 posters

Topic 100 - Prejudice - How Honest Can You Be?

Waireka
    Waireka
    Nymph
    Nymph

Topic 100 - Prejudice - How Honest Can You Be? Empty Topic 100 - Prejudice - How Honest Can You Be?

Post  Waireka Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:57 pm

Do you hold any prejudice? Whether it's sex based, race based, religion based... what are you strongest prejudices and do you alter any behaviours because of your prejudice?

Eg. Bad women drivers, Indians being cheap, Muslims blowing people up...
    Tikva
    Tikva
    Nymph
    Nymph

Topic 100 - Prejudice - How Honest Can You Be? Empty Re: Topic 100 - Prejudice - How Honest Can You Be?

Post  Tikva Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:59 pm

Elderly Drivers!! That's at least one from me, at least for now.
    debs
    debs
    Mortal
    Mortal

Topic 100 - Prejudice - How Honest Can You Be? Empty Re: Topic 100 - Prejudice - How Honest Can You Be?

Post  debs Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:01 pm

I know I do because I believe that we are all programmed that way, even if just a little bit, cant think of any specific ones right now, but not about race etc

I have a bigger issue with morals and religion etc..... but thats a discussion that could get me in the shit Laughing
    Psalter
    Psalter
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Psalter Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:03 pm

I have all manner of predjudices... but I acknowledge the role of individuality.

If I get robbed I assume it was a Maori... if one of my mates is hit by someone in a car accident, I ask if it was an Asian driver, women have particular roles ina family, so do men. I assume that I can't have an intelligent conversation with a person that holds a belief in homeopathic remedies... at least about health.
    Tikva
    Tikva
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Tikva Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:04 pm

Why are we all still up at our computers at this hour? Smile
    Psalter
    Psalter
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Psalter Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:05 pm

Tikva wrote:Why are we all still up at our computers at this hour? Smile

Because we have no jobs to attend in the morning.
    Tikva
    Tikva
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Tikva Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:11 pm

Ahhhh, thanks for the laugh, Psalter!!! It is day 13 of me being a non-smoker, so there's been few of them lately!
    Psalter
    Psalter
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Psalter Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:13 pm

Tikva wrote:Ahhhh, thanks for the laugh, Psalter!!! It is day 13 of me being a non-smoker, so there's been few of them lately!

I am at day 5 of week 6 of failing at smoking... I have managed to give up for 5 days 6 weeks in a row... then back on for a week... so that makes it 12 weeks.

I really struggle to stay afloat.
    Waireka
    Waireka
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Waireka Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:14 pm

Psalter wrote:
    Tikva wrote:Why are we all still up at our computers at this hour? Smile

Because we have no jobs to attend in the morning.

What he said.
    Tikva
    Tikva
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Tikva Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:17 pm

It's bloody tough to do, but when you have a bout of Pneumonia and struggle to breathe, it kinda put's a new perspective on it all. In the past 6 weeks I have had the Pneumonia, found out I had High Blood Pressure, as well as High Cholesterol. Major wake-up calls, especially with my family history.

At the end of the day though, it was the not being able to breathe easily that was the final straw. I do hope things work out better for you re smoking!
    Tikva
    Tikva
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Tikva Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:19 pm

Back to the topic at hand...........

I guess another prejudice I probably have would be Maori with Moko (?). Even though I know that it's just a tattoo, I always feel threatened when I walk past a male Maori with full face Moko, and make sure I don't look at him in the eyes.
    Psalter
    Psalter
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Psalter Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:20 pm

Tikva wrote:Back to the topic at hand...........

I guess another prejudice I probably have would be Maori with Moko (?). Even though I know that it's just a tattoo, I always feel threatened when I walk past a male Maori with full face Moko, and make sure I don't look at him in the eyes.

Have you seen the ad for the upcoming amazing race?

That guy must have heard about the headbutt incident... cringes away form Moko Maori like he has th plague when he attempts a Hongi.

I lol'd.
    Tikva
    Tikva
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Tikva Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:22 pm

Yeah, I have. It is rather hilarious, and will be interested in watching that particular episode.

Very Happy
    Waireka
    Waireka
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Waireka Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:29 pm

Tikva wrote:Back to the topic at hand...........

I think I'm environmentally cultured to not find it intimidating (yet I find missing teeth and ugly hair intimidating), I grew up at Parihaka from 10-17, lots of the coastal residents had full face moko, but if you match it up with someone who looks a mess I will be intimidated.
    Linno
    Linno
    Mortal
    Mortal

Post  Linno Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:25 pm

Like Psalter I'd judge someone who's into homeopathy as a bit dim, or at least naive. Can't really think of much else off hand, but I don't seem to judge too much on appearances more so on beliefs. Though even then I don't think I have that many prejudices, or if I do they aren't very conscious ones.

Last edited by Linno on Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:15 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : My speeling sucks.)
    metcalfj
    metcalfj
    Mortal
    Mortal

Post  metcalfj Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:29 pm

I don't trust guys with moustaches, they always look look like they have something to hide.

Topic 100 - Prejudice - How Honest Can You Be? Tomselleck

I also don't trust guys wearing suits and power ties.
    metcalfj
    metcalfj
    Mortal
    Mortal

Post  metcalfj Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:31 pm

Woops, that didn't work Surprised

I also do not trust medical professionals whose income is reliant on drug company 'research' grants.
    Tikva
    Tikva
    Nymph
    Nymph

Post  Tikva Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:17 pm

I think I'm environmentally cultured to not find it intimidating (yet I find missing teeth and ugly hair intimidating), I grew up at Parihaka from 10-17, lots of the coastal residents had full face moko, but if you match it up with someone who looks a mess I will be intimidated.

Ahhh, so maybe that's the problem with me then! Pretty much every male I've seen (in person) with Moko is a Mob Member. Smile
    woody67
    woody67
    Mortal
    Mortal

Post  woody67 Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:14 pm

I tend to assume that overly large people are lazy and a tad slobby.
    canterella
    canterella
    Giant
    Giant

Post  canterella Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:56 am

At the Simon Wiesenthal Museum of Tolerance visitors are pointed toward two large doors. Above them, bright red neon signs designate one door "Not-Prejudiced," the other, "Prejudiced." On a nearby video, an actor challenges the visitors to consider whether or not they are prejudiced. Then each of the visitors are instructed to choose the door that matches their attitudes. When a visitor opts to try the "Not-Prejudiced" door it can't be opened -- it is locked.
    Anjewel
    Anjewel
    Giant
    Giant

Post  Anjewel Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:32 am

Tikva wrote:

Ahhh, so maybe that's the problem with me then! Pretty much every male I've seen (in person) with Moko is a Mob Member. Smile

Alot of girls I grew up with have the chin moko...They told me they deserved to wear it proudly on their chins because it told who they were...I guess they forgot they were the village bikes, party girls, and lighter fluid sniffers of their day, who only went to school once in a while to show of their pregnant bellies at the age of 15...

I have a prejudice with those chicks and their chin mokos at the ages of 25 - 30, who believe they deserve it, considering my old Nanny was given the chin moko at the age of 65 as she earned it for who she was, and wore it proudly and was very respected...
    Kosmick
    Mortal
    Mortal

Post  Kosmick Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:34 am

Not really a lot of predjudices here, apart from Indians at call centers, I have trouble understanding them!
    dabiarch
    dabiarch
    Mortal
    Mortal

Post  dabiarch Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:00 am

i know that i must have prejudices.........but i can't think of any major ones at the moment
    lois lane
    Mortal
    Mortal

Post  lois lane Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:34 am

Well I have to admit to agreeing with Psalter re asian drivers ... so many accidents I've been to have involved them, plus being on the way with lights a-flashing and sirens a-screeching, do the asian drivers move? hell NO unless it's to move into the gap vacated by someone else who is moving out of the way ...

We all have prejudices we've learnt as children, one I had was against dutch people, god knows why. but I don't have it any more! I don't much like spiders - is that a prejudice against arachnids?!!
    Anjewel
    Anjewel
    Giant
    Giant

Post  Anjewel Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:53 am

is that a prejudice against arachnids?!!

In the spider world yes... Laughing

We talked about prejudices at work today...Alot of ladies were saying how their maori dads were prejudice against pakehas, yet had married one...These same ladies said it made them accept totally, all races, then threw in, except those bloody Asians...lol..

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 5:49 am